[ie-announce] Save the date: ECSS 2024 in Malta – Celebrating 20 years of Informatics Research and Education community empowerment

Informatics Europe Office administration at informatics-europe.org
Tue Apr 16 09:20:21 CEST 2024

Dear colleagues,

Our annual *European Leaders Informatics Summit (ECSS)* is returning,
*marking “20 years of Informatics Europe” on 28-30 October 2024 in
Malta* — and we want to ensure you and your colleagues will be there!
*Please distribute the call within your institute and network.*

With contributions from various IE working groups, ECSS 2024 celebrates
20 years of digital transformation alongside our growing Informatics
Europe community. Our annual summit remains committed to *addressing
crucial and timely strategic issues and trends across all aspects of
informatics.*

Sharing their insights and experiences, reflecting on the past and
future of Informatics and its societal impact in Europe, this year we
are delighted to welcome *our keynote speakers*

  *

    Mark Harman
    <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Harman_(computer_scientist)>
    from Meta Platforms Inc. and University College London, and

  *

    *Dorotea Wagner
    <https://i11www.iti.kit.edu/en/members/dorothea_wagner/index> from
    Karlsruhe Institute of Technology*.

Joining them for a panel discussion will be *founding and former IE
Presidents, Bertrand Meyer, Carlo Ghezzi, Lynda Hardman and Enrico
Nardelli*, fostering discussions and ensuring an engaging and inspiring
Tuesday morning session.

Informatics leaders and policymakers should make sure to attend the
*Leaders Workshop
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/leaders-workshop.html>*,
a longstanding fixture since the inaugural ECSS. This year the workshop
will *spotlight the challenges of managing interdisciplinarity and
sustainability within research groups and departments* – a common hurdle
that becomes more manageable when approached collectively.

For emerging informatics researchers, we continue to offer the *Early
Career Researchers Workshop*
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/career-development-workshop.html>
tailored for PhD students and post-doctorates. Get ready to *submit a
manuscript to be considered for presentation at the Poster Session and
the newly added PhD Symposium!* Accepted manuscripts will also be
considered for *publication in the post-proceedings. *Benefit from
mentoring and sessions with senior researchers to propel your academic
career forward!

*Workshops organized by different IE working groups* will cover topics
such as *how to cultivate diversity and inclusion in Informatics, Green
ICT, or best practices of academia/industry collaboration in higher
education.* Following up on last year’s workshop, *AI and Research
Evaluation* will be discussed during the *workshop organized with our
member National Informatics Associations.* The *Awards ceremony* and the
*IE Annual General Assembly* will round up a truly inspiring 2024
program – *discover our preliminary program and session details here
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/schedule.html>.*
Additionally, participants can look forward to *a special celebratory
activity: a short sightseeing tour in Mdina preceding the Official
Dinner*, an ideal opportunity to gain fresh inspiration and build new
connections.

This year's *ECSS will be hosted at a hotel*, offering attendees the
chance to stay onsite and benefit from *enhanced networking
opportunities and a community atmosphere.* We have negotiated special
rates (a direct booking link will be announced soon) and we recommend
participants to book promptly as rooms are not pre-booked.

Once again, *we invite the community to participate in ECSS 2024,
especially informatics research and education leaders at all levels.
Join us for another milestone* as we continue to foster exchange and
work on strategic initiatives in informatics and related disciplines,
bridging academia, industry and society at large!

Registration will open in May/June, so keep in touch via our Summit
website
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/administrator/ecss/home.html>,
LinkedIn <https://ch.linkedin.com/company/informatics-europe> and X
<https://twitter.com/informatics_eu>!