[ie-announce] Save the Date: ECSS 2023 in Edinburgh – The Summit for Informatics Research and Education Leaders

Kit Wan Chui kitwan.chui at informatics-europe.org
Tue Apr 25 16:57:05 CEST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

Our annual *European Computer Science Summit (ECSS)* is returning *with
the **main theme “Informatics: Shaping the Future” on 23-25 October 2023
in Edinburgh, UK* — and we want to ensure you will be there!

This year’s summit is *co-organised with our member institute the School
of Informatics of the University of Edinburgh
<https://www.ed.ac.uk/informatics/>*, who celebrates 60 years of
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Computer Science research. Devoted to
*crucial and timely strategic issues and trends regarding all aspects of
informatics*, ECSS continues to be the unique opportunity where we
gather for knowledge exchange, networking and strategy-setting
activities in informatics and related disciplines. *We call for the
participation of the community at ECSS 2023, in particular of
informatics research and education leaders at all levels. *

Co-chaired by Jane Hillston <https://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jeh/> from
University of Edinburgh and Enrico Nardelli
<http://www.mat.uniroma2.it/~nardelli/> from Informatics Europe/
University of Rome "Tor Vergata", ECSS 2023 organizational committee
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/committees.html> has prepared
an exciting program of workshops, presentations by leading experts
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/speakers.html>, and social
activities:

    Leaders Workshop: “Diversity and Inclusion in a Multicultural World”
    <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/leaders-workshop.html>
    As informatics leaders, how can you bring out the best of your
    colleagues with various backgrounds and experiences, and accommodate
    the diversity in a fair and inclusive way? Share your own
    experiences and gain insights from others to develop strategies to
    lead in an inclusive way.

    Professional Development Workshop for Early Career Researchers
    <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/career-development-workshop.html>
    Turn your research career into a success story! Dedicated to PhD
    students and post-doctorates, this session invites you to reflect on
    your vision and leadership qualities, devise your research career
    plan, and complement it with feedback from established researchers.
    Join also the ECSS poster session to share your research with all
    ECSS participants and broaden your professional network.

    Main Theme Session: “Informatics: Shaping the Future”
    <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/main-theme.html>
    Informatics advances have a profound impact on our way of living,
    which places great responsibility on us as leaders and researchers
    in informatics. In this session, we will learn more about some of
    the hot topics, such as quantum computing, health or languages
    models, and discuss how to leverage our knowledge and talent in
    shaping our dream future through informatics.

    Two Academia-Industry Sessions
    <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/session-with-industry.html>
    Highlighting the needs and challenges around highly topical issues
    such as life-long learning of informatics professionals and
    commercialization of research, speaker talks and panel discussions
    will bring the academic as well as the industrial viewpoints on
    these topics. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to discuss how to
    jointly tackle these issues as a community.

    AI and the Future of Informatics Education
    <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/national-informatics-associations-workshop.html>

    Co-organised with our member National Informatics Associations and
    open to all participants, the workshop will focus on the impact on
    the practice of software engineering education, as well as the
    broader impacts on the informatics curriculum and educational
    practices. The progress of the Open Science working group
    initiatives, discussed at last year’s ECSS, will also be reviewed.

In addition to the above, two IE’s Working Groups, Data Analysis and
Reporting
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/education/data-analysis-and-reporting.html>
and Sustainability
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/society/sustainability.html>, will
present their latest results and activities in individual sessions, and
discuss with participants the strategic direction of these collaborative
platforms, which work for the benefit of the overall informatics
community. Informatics Europe annual Awards Ceremony
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/awards.html>, Dialogue
with Members Session
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/ie-session.html> as
well as General Assembly will also take place, along with a number of
socializing sessions through our three-day Summit. The full preliminary
program is available here
<https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/program/schedule.html>.

*Registration will be open around early June, so keep in touch via our
Summit **website <https://www.informatics-europe.org/ecss/home.html>**,
**LinkedIn <https://ch.linkedin.com/company/informatics-europe>**and
**Twitter <https://twitter.com/informatics_eu>**! *Please feel free to
forward this email to anyone who may be interested in attending *ECSS
2023 – a must-go event to establish and strengthen connections and
strategic collaborations with informatics leaders and decision-makers at
all levels, from academia to industry!*

Best regards,
Informatics Europe