[ie-announce] New Report "Industry Funding for Academic Research in Informatics in Europe"

Svetlana Tikhonenko svetlana.tikhonenko at informatics-europe.org
Tue Jan 22 16:17:31 CET 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to share with you our newest report “Industry Funding for
Academic Research in Informatics in Europe”
<http://www.informatics-europe.org/component/phocadownload/category/10-reports.html?download=98:industry-academia-funding-informatics-europe>
prepared by Informatics Europe Data Collection and Reporting Working
Group
<http://www.informatics-europe.org/working-groups/data-collection-reporting.html>.

The report presents the results of a pilot study exploring the landscape
of industry-funded Informatics research in academic institutions in
Europe. Until now, no systematic study of the funding relation between
industry and academia in Informatics has been reported in Europe and
therefore no knowledge existed about which research areas receive more
or less funding from industry. To fill this gap and understand better
the industry funding landscape in Europe we conducted a pilot study
including nine institutions, members of Informatics Europe, from four
European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and UK.

The results of this small scale study have shown that the institutions
included together received close do 50 million EUR in funding from
Industry along an average of three years per project. *Visualization,
Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Ubiquitous Computing, Data
Management Systems, Blockchain, Applied Computing for Life and Medical
Sciences, Systems Security, Machine Learning and Architectures were the
top ten funded fields receiving more than 70% of the total funding. Each
of these research areas received above 1 Million EUR from industry
during the whole period of funding reported.*

The report present a number of further interesting analysis  and
comparisons, download it
<http://www.informatics-europe.org/component/phocadownload/category/10-reports.html?download=98:industry-academia-funding-informatics-europe>
for more details. We believe that the publication of the pilot study is
a very important milestone and will certainly generate interest not only
in the academic community but also in industry and funding organizations
across Europe. Informatics Europe plans to scale up the pilot study to
include a higher number of countries and institutions with the goal of
producing  a fully pan-European picture of the industry funding for
academic research in Europe.

For any further questions and comments about the report, please contact:
Svetlana Tikhonenko <mailto:svetlana.tikhonenko at informatics-europe.org>.

Best wishes,

Svetlana Tikhonenko

*On behalf of the Informatics Europe Data Collection and Reporting
Working Group*

--

Svetlana Tikhonenko
Program Associate -