[ie-announce] Informatics Europe response to the European Commission proposal to change the Horizon 2020 budget

Cristina Pereira cristina.pereira at informatics-europe.org
Tue Dec 16 13:42:46 CET 2014

On December 11, 2014, Informatics Europe sent the following letter to
the relevant EU authorities in response to the proposal of the President
of the European Commission for a significant change of policy and budget
for the Horizon 2020 support program for research and innovation:

President of the European Commission
President of the European Council
President of the European Parliament
Commissioner for Research and Innovation of the European Commission
Director General of the Directorate for Research and Innovation of the
European Commission

As President of Informatics Europe---the association of computer science
departments and research laboratories in Europe---I am charged to write
to you to express our concerns that the recent discussion about changes
in research funding under Horizon 2020 might weaken the initiatives in
all sectors of science, and in particular in Information and
Communication Science and Technology. We believe that any weakening of
the EU budget that would reduce the ability to support long-term
research would endanger Europe's ability in the future to nurture
innovation and sustain competition.

This is especially true for our sector. Although Information and
Communication Technologies are already at the heart of the society we
are creating for our future, long-term research investments are crucial
to fuel short-term developments with the results of high-risk research
efforts that investigate radical innovations that would lead to truly
secure cyber-infrastructures upon which the future society may safely
rely. By weakening its RTD budget, and in particular its long-term
research support, Europe will impoverish its human capital and will miss
the boat of innovation and competition.

Informatics Europe expresses at the same time its willingness to
collaborate at all levels to improve Horizon 2020 initiatives in ICT at
all levels and to contribute to making the investments as fruitful as
possible.

On behalf of the Executive Board and the members of Informatics Europe,
I urge you strongly to to take our concerns in due consideration.

Carlo Ghezzi
President of Informatics Europe