[ie-announce] ICT classes to be eliminated from upper secondary education in Greece

Fotini T fof_t at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 23:14:58 CEST 2013

 Subject: ICT classes to be eliminated from upper secondary education in
Greece

Dear Sirs/Madams,
The Greek Ministry of Education has announced the
reforms and changes in Greek education through the new law that was signed on
Friday 10/8/2013. TheMinistry is planning on eliminating ICT classes from
general upper secondary curriculum in Greek schools, changes it radically during the years of college and
downgrades it in the technical training.
Teachers of Informatics have been trying the whole
time to prove the necessity and use of our science in the Secondary education
and more specifically in upper Secondary Education (Lyceum). Every time we have
to prove that our science plays a determinant role towards the very much wanted
growth and development that our country needs desperately.
Unfortunately, the Ministry of Education does not
share the same opinion. They don’t consider Computer Science as necessary in
the education of students. They don’t realize that the ‘digital’ education has
a leading role in the development of a country nowadays.
The statistical research carried by the Greek
Observatory shows that our country is ranked 5th from the end in the
list of digital and networking education, nevertheless the Ministry insists on
its’ initial decision.
We hope that you can feel and realize our anger,
despair and will to defend our Science, equal opportunities to new technologies
training for all and even more financially weaker pupils and employment
prospects  of future generations. We
appreciate and recognize the works and services you provide and more
specifically the universal recognition of the Computer Science in Education.
We call upon your sensitivity towards this matter so
that you could interfere and help us in this “educational crime” that is being
committed in a low rate development and financially poor country.
The final bill will be submitted to Parliament at the
end of August. We kindly request of you, in your capacity as Executive teaching
in information and computer sciences, to take regard of the points put forward
in this letter and support our case with the Greek Ministry of Education. As we
have received no valid answers from the people planning these supposedly
innovative changes, we are counting on European education institutions to press
for such answers. In particular, we would really appreciate an explanation for
the following:
What
is the rationale behind eliminating constructive IT classes such as
“Application Development in a Programming Environment” from upper secondary
school curricula, especially when the changes are supposedly being introduced
as “innovations” in the name of the NEW Lyceum
Based on
the above you are asked to support the cause organized by the Hellenic Association of Computer
Science (PEKAP):
1. Put
pressure at the Greek government and the Ministry of Education to ensure and
upgrade the IT as a separate course at the New School, which aims at developing
algorithmic thinking that is necessary in all subjects, not only in science?
2. Argue to
the political leadership of the Ministry of Education to upgrade the course of
IT and high school, and not to condemn our young students to digital illiteracy
Thank you very much for your time. I am naturally at
your disposal for any other information/input you may need.

Kind regards, Yours sincerely,
Tsiavalia Fotini
Member of Hellenic Association of Computer
Science (PEKAP)
“P.E.KA.P”
(Hellenic Association of Computer Science Teaches) for providing ideas and
input for this memo (see “PEKAP” Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/210307492345/)

P.S. Theletter attached explaining in details the
situation in our country