[ie-announce] New working group on Parallel Computing - Call for Participation

Cristina Pereira cristina.pereira at informatics-europe.org
Tue Feb 21 16:45:06 CET 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Looking back to the last European Computer Science Summit of Informatics
Europe we would like to draw your attention to a new initiative actively
discussed in Milan. We are talking about a new Working Group within
Informatics Europe which was announced in Milan:

*"Parallel Computing (Supercomputing) Education in Europe: State-of-Art". *

Why did Informatics Europe take a decision to start this working group?
Parallelism and concurrency have become an integral part of computer
science for the last decade and, moreover, the degree of parallelism is
constantly growing year by year. In 2020 there will be thousands cores
in laptops and dozens/hundreds cores in mobile devices. How many of our
students are ready for this forthcoming reality? We suppose, just a few...

Why did we mention "Supercomputing" in the title of the working group?
Supercomputing is an essential part of computing, it is one of the most
important parts of parallel computing, it is a point where parallelism
is concentrated, it is an area where numerous breakthrough technologies
appear first before being widely used.

In summary, it is really time to think seriously about parallel
computing and education.

What did we talk in Milan about? To be able to move in this direction we
need to form a relatively small working group (about 10 people) with the
mission:

*- to **show the need for urgent changes in higher education in the area
of computational sciences,*
*- to compose a survey of the current landscape of parallel computing
and supercomputing education in Europe with respect to different
universities and countries,*
*- to prepare a set of recommendations how to bring ideas of parallel
computing and supercomputing into higher educational systems of European
countries.*

If you feel that this is your topic, if you are interested to join the
working group to be able to bring your ideas and to share your knowledge
with our community - you are highly welcome!

Let us know about you decision _*by March, 9, 2012 sending a brief
message to "wg-*__*hpc-edu*__*@parallel.ru".*_

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us:
voevodin at parallel.ru, gergel at unn.ru.

Sincerely Yours,

Prof. Vladimir Voevodin, MSU and  Prof. Victor Gergel, NNSU